Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Wawa

I first came across the word Wawa when, as a child, my family drove north of Lake Superior to Thunder Bay. Wawa is the much needed rest stop with the giant goose statue! Little did I know that word would have so much significance later in my life!

It is amazingly flexible: to Matthias, "wawa" meant water -- large or small, from, "I need a drink" to "Look, an ocean!"
To Bethany, "Wawa" was the sound of a baby crying, and it became the name of her beloved doll which she dragged around by the hair from the age of 1 to 3. At bedtime, she would look around saying, "Wawa? Wawa?" until she found her dolly and attached her fingers to its hair.
Carrie Ann uses the word almost as often, but to her it means "Flower". After bikes and dogs (woof-woof), the next thing she spots is flowers! And guess what? At this time of year, there are a lot more flowers around than bikes and dogs! "Wawa! Wawa!" In fact, it will do for anything green and leafy! Tulip leaves? Dandelion greens? A budding lilac tree? "Wawa!" Whenever she has the opportunity, she climbs on the table and pulls all my flowers out of their vases!
Long live wawa!

2 comments:

Deb said...

Brad & I had a running joke when Saddam was hiding that his hiding place was the goose in Wawa. It's funny how many people who've driven across Canada know Wawa - of all the other small towns they could remember...Wawa is the one they all do.

Mary Anna said...

I thought I would add my definition of wawa. In Cuba a wawa is the local city bus. Yes, it goes with my name. Nana