Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Canada, Eh?

Matthias has been studying Canada in his map book, and so I put up on the wall the Canada map which came in the back of the book.
Carrie Ann came over to it during a meal (she always finishes first), and tried to pull the "C" off. I said, "Canada, Carrie Ann, Canada." Then Frank started singing this song:
Ca-Na-Da
(You'll need RealPlayer or something, it is a ram file.)
He explained that it was the Centennial Song in 1967 -- before my time.

That brought to mind another song about Canada which my sister Deb told me about years ago. All I could remember was "trees and rocks and rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees -- and water!" So I looked it up on YouTube. To my surprise it was by a group called "Arrogant Worms". At first glance I was put off, but then realized, isn't that what we all really are, in the big scheme of things? Anyway, we enjoyed the song.

It didn't take me long to realize that there were several versions available, since the group themselves did only a music version, not a video. The first is still my favourite, from Doki Doki productions, an anime version:


This version is the most "Canadian,"

Though I wasn't impressed that they used the same pictures for both sets of "rocks and trees."

Others were the "Shangra-La" version and the "Stargate" version.

We had a good laugh (and learned some symbols and history of Canada). Thanks, Deb and Arrogant Worms!

3 comments:

Deb said...

Hey guys - welcome to the world of blogging - I'm glad I could help you learn a bit more about Canada, Bethany & Matthias!! Brad & I saw the Arrogant Worms on Parliament Hill one Canada - it was lots of fun - the whole crowd singing along to Rocks & Trees...

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca,
I've gotten into reading you guy's blogs. It's a fun way to keep up a little bit on your lives. So keep it up.
Aunt Greta

Roboseyo said...

welcome to the blogosphere, beckles!